Friday, August 24, 2012

Beyond the Invisible Wall

Today I volunteered at a support group with an assignment in mind, to improve my person to person communication skills and ultimately improve my networking skills. I chose a venue beyond the usual but I knew it was going to be mutually beneficial anyway.

So there I was with my community mentor, and instead of serving food and getting chairs for everyone, I was invited to join in and I was warmly welcomed.

What happened next was something I did not expect. I was included and I felt included.

It is a nice feeling to be in a group where one gets a chance to be listened to and to listen without prejudices and judgments. I have realized too how much goodness a hug can do, and from a stranger.

Sometimes it's all we need for all the ups and downs and the merry-go-rounds.

So today, I am more thankful than I was yesterday.

I wish I took a still photograph to remember their faces, but it was too personal and I really don't need a still shot to remember them. The experience was worth the while and my guess is I have benefited more than I will ever realize.

Has my communication skills improved? You tell me, what do you want to talk about? I am here to listen and when it's my turn to speak, I hope you'll listen too.

2 comments:

  1. Desert safari Dubai communication among the people is very difficult to do. specially when you are not have a same language.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that is true. i agree with you. but here though it's really not just about the language. thank you for reading my blog :-)

      Delete